Microsoft Excel is an extremely powerful business tool, however, it is misunderstood and misused by a number of teams up and down the country. Often, staff members simply create new spreadsheets rather than reusing and repurposing pre-existing templates or updating already existing documents. This can lead to wastage, confusion and, in one particularly distressing case, one London bank lost over £2 million pounds due to a formulae error.
At IT-EBS we have a number of experienced programmers who can create bespoke tools for your business. Our team carry out comprehensive tests on all of our systems and once this intensive system is signed off we lock down the formulas – ensuring they cannot be modified or altered. Our particular speciality lies in producing live feeds from multiple database tables, which can summarise a vast amount of information into a pivot table or graph. This allows business owners to see precisely how their business is performing and respond to situations immediately.
Some of the solutions we have developed include:
- A meeting room booking calendar
- A 5 year cash flow plan that calculates return on investment, profitability and payback period based on scenarios of a changing component price.
- A multi-department order system that includes future cash flow projections based on quotations
- Live multi-project efficiency and profit and loss dashboard for the construction industry. This compared purchasing material, deliveries to site and timesheet hours with fixed time and income budgets against milestones – it did all this by refreshing 6 million values per hour.
- Survey chart comparison to create over 100 PowerPoint charts and refresh when data was updated (this saved the survey team 3 weeks work each quarter, giving them a monetary saving of 20k).
- Auto import payroll information to accounting package for job costing analysis and bulk upload to bank portal (saving of 5 hours per fortnight with an annual saving of 15k per year).
- Feed of actual income and costs to group budget for quarterly board review (saving 8 hours per quarter and 3k per year plus this was 100% accurate compared with manual data entry).
Excel Training Courses
We present Excel training courses that are designed to educate business owners on how to more effectively use this tool. The course is based on real life exercises that can easily be adapted to working life. We will be announcing new courses in our news section and always welcome enquiries if you feel this course may benefit your professional body or networking organisation.