Open System Interconnection is the standard for peer to peer communication between computer systems
7. Application: Network process to Application. Initial preparation of preparing a message or instructions to be transferred from the computer. Application communicate contents to these protocols.
6. Presentation: Data representation and encryption. Formats the message so that all other OSI compliant computers can understand.
5. Session: Interhost communication. Sets up the connection between 2 applications and managing it’s release.
4. Transport: End to End encryption & reliability. Hand shake agreement for how data is be communicated between computer systems. Protocols if data lost etc.
3. Network: Path determination & Logical addressing. Insert information into packet headers to route to final destination. Best path to take. OSPF
2. Data Link: Physical addressing. LAN or WAN Network that translates incoming packets to correspond with internal environment to electrical signal
1. Physical: Media, signal & binary transmission. Controls electronic signals via network interface cards and drivers to get to end computer back into binary language.